Research shows valid benefits of acupuncture in treating infertility. Studies have concluded that acupuncture can increase uterine blood flow and can double the success rate of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) procedures compared to placebo.
Below, is a summary of a recent patient of mine that had infertility issues.
A 26 year old female visited me back in 2012, with one failed IVF attempt already under her belt and another transfer scheduled in one month’s time. This transfer failed as well. After some regrouping, the couple decided to try one more time to conceive. They had just scheduled the first consult with their fertility doctor and requested my help. This allowed us some time to prepare both spouses emotionally and the soon-to-be mother physically and energetically to bring a new life into the world.
There were a number of things that needed to be addressed to prepare. First, the relationship needed to be strong and supportive. The mental/emotional aspect is very important to counteract life’s hurdles that undoubtedly show up. If the marital relationship is strong, hurdles can be overcome with ease without stress and anxiety. This included a good work-life balance. Secondly, the physical preparation was addressed. This included weekly exercise and stretching along with proper diet.
The following diet changes were suggested:
- Eliminate all red meats, pork, white sugar, all dairy and all fried foods.
- Moderate intake of coffee and alcohol.
- Enhance intake of fresh oily fish (salmon, mackerel and sardines). An alternative would be to take 2,000mg Omega 3 - 1x day.
- Eat brown rice, honey, fresh garlic, onions, ginger root, fresh raw or steamed vegetables and fresh fruits.
Acupuncture treatments were performed twice weekly for approximately 7 months to accomplish the following:
- Balance the menstrual cycle. This was accomplished by treating Yin, Yang, Qi and Blood at the appropriate times during the woman’s cycle. Through acupuncture, hormones were regulated and “Zi Gong” or uterus was nurtured.
- Prepare the uterus. An herbal supplement 3 months prior to implantation was added to support the uterus, blood and uterine lining.
The parents received word that they should expect twins in August of this year.
Farming requires preparation of good soil to grow crops. The same is true for conceiving a child.